Sunday, April 3, 2011

I dig revolting against cars, phase one in which Doris gets her oats

4c4a4f0212b71.image.jpg

Here are some of the early ways we are going to get around w/o a car:

  • I procured a carpool to my internship in Indy.  This was the most crucial aspect of the revolt that needed to be in place, otherwise I would have needed to get another vehicle.
  • We have a bus that connects us to a lot of the things that we need to do in town, like going to campus or going to the store.
  • If we ever do need a car, we are setting up an account with Zipcar, a sweet car-sharing service.

Since we don’t have a car and I got a little compensation by selling my shell of a car, there is the opportunity to spend pennies for every dollar I would have spent on a car for other means of transportation.  I still have to pay for gas for my carpool, but it is theoretically half of what I was spending before, plus less because we used to use our car for getting around town everyday.

The bus also has a $1 fare.  That is only annoying because I need to be thinking about having coins or one dollar bills.  I think it would be about $30 to get a monthly transit pass, but right now I don’t think I would ride the bus at least 30 times a month.  My wife rides for free because she is a student. 

Zipcar for us will be roughly $35 a year, plus $9 an hour we use the car. Gas is paid for, as is insurance.  This is a lot cheaper than renting a car or of course owning a car. 

I also want to link to a car revolt-friendly article each time I post.  Streetfilms is putting up a series of videos called “Moving Beyond the Automobile.”  Here is a video from the series.

2 comments:

  1. If anyone can do it, you and Alyssa can. I think it will be interesting to see if you can continue a carless life when you have kids, but I bet you could. That zipcar company sounds pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are very intrigued. Will once read a book about how a car is really not as freeing as one thinks and that life is a lot better without being tethered to private vehicle ownership. Although, I am convinced that the DOT is totally against the idea. Having kids does complicate the issue, but I do know it can be done. Way to go guys!

    ReplyDelete