Wednesday, September 10, 2008

While Chewing My Cud One Day, I Looked Up and Noticed All of My Herd-Mates Grazing in a Northerly Direction

For my much-anticipated first post, I would like to offer my take on an article I stumbled upon concerning of all things, the grazing habits of cattle.  In short, "researchers" noticed while using Google Earth that animals such as cattle and some deer tend to all graze facing a north-south direction.  Wow!  Let me offer up my impressions on this subject:

  1. I love Google Earth.  It is one of my favorite little programs.
  2. Now I am going to be scouring Google Earth trying to find other undiscovered phenomena, like my long-theorized grazing habits of people.
  3. I love technology.  Always and Forever.
  4. OK, but really, this is all a bit of baloney.  I mean, did the "researchers" really look at all the cattle in the world?  And don't they just tend to graze based upon other such factors as wind direction and the light/heat of the sun?  
  5. If it is true, is this because of a magnetic sensibility in the cows?  Or a constant desire to be perpendicular to the path of the Sun?
  6. Or is it rather the vestigal habits to move north-south such as migratory birds, that has been hampered by husbandry and "pastureization"?
  7. And on second thought, haven't we known for centuries that birds go north and south?  What's the BFD?
  8. But probably the most likely scenario is that a race of alien overlords has implanted a microscopic positioning device in all of our cattle, doubtless gathering information for an eventual world domination.
  9. I can imagine this race of alien overlords also looking down from a multidimensional microscope and chuckling amongst themselves: "Look at these pitiful humans!  They all go about grazing only in the third dimension!  Don't they realize this?  And they think these cattle have issues!"
  10. The moral of all of this is to step back, zoom out--look at your own life.  Examine it.  The unexamined life is not worth living.  Forget about your "goals."  Forget about what you think you know.  What if you spend your whole life moving north and south!  You have practically 358 degrees (360 minus 2 for north and south) of mobility and you are only going north and south.  Think outside the box.  You may think I mean this metaphorically, or as some sort of life lesson, but no--I literally mean, you should start to examine your grazing habits!  Mix it up a bit...go east, west, northwest, etc.  Also, don't develop a herd mentality.  You don't need to go the same direction as some one else.  For example, I've noticed that when I am on the highway, everyone goes the same way.  This is exactly the kind of mind-numbing groupthink that I am talking about!

1 comment:

  1. oh....my.....goodness white square. you are quite the talented writer!! im really glad you majored in english because you are good at it. k first off, i never noticed that your last name is so close to "frik", one of my fave pseudo-cuss words, until i erroneously typed your name trying to get to your blog. i might call you joel frik from now on. k. seriusly, you have really upped the ante on the requisite coolness of blog posts for the square. i gotta kick it up a notch. bam! well done indeed.

    ReplyDelete